This super quick and easy Sweet and Spicy Sugar Snap Pea recipe is the perfect addition for any meal. The snap peas are blanched and sauced in just under 5 minutes – perfect for a weeknight meal, snack, or holiday side-dish.
I was recently gifted a box of bagged fresh veggies from Mann’s Fresh Vegetables, which included sugar snap peas. My husband was elated because snap peas are legit his favourite snacky vegetable. He loves them no matter what you do with them. Even our toddler is a fan. She likes to open the pods and get at the pump peas hidden inside. I don’t love them raw and much prefer them steamed or blanched. These Sweet and Spicy Snap Peas uses Mann’s Fresh Vegetables Sugar Snap Peas are the perfect side dish for our family. They’re made with soy sauce, Thai Sweet Chili Sauce and sesame oil and it really packs a punch. Our toddler even loves this sauce and it’s the only way we can get her to eat the pea pods!
Let’s Talk Ingredients
Sweet and Spicy Snap Peas is one of the quickest side dishes out there. It’s made with 4 ingredients and is ready in 10 minutes.
- Sugar Snap Peas: I can find gorgeous snap peas all year round at the grocery store. They have an edible thick pod and round, plump peas inside. I love that they’re crisp and crunchy and my toddler goes crazy for them. For this recipe, I blanche them quickly in some simmering water instead of steaming them. I do this mostly to save time because I want this dish on the table quickly and steaming takes longer.
- Thai Sweet Chili Sauce: This is one of the most used condiments in our kitchen. It’s a thick, sweet, tangy and spicy sauce that can be used as a dip, or a sauce or marinade for veggies and meat. I love it on wings, or used as a sauce for stir fry’s, and a dip for just about everything.
- Sriracha/chili sauce: If you like a little extra spice, you can make this into an extra spicy sugar snap pea recipe by adding some sriracha or sambal oelek.
Can I Make Substitutions?
- What can I substitute for snap peas? Snow Peas make a good substitution for sugar snap peas. Snow peas are quite different but still work great. The pods are very thin and flat in comparison to snow peas. Snow peas are also commonly found in stir fry’s.
- What can I substitute for soy sauce? Tamari or Braggs Amino Acids are two great soy sauce substitutes and they’re gluten free. Watch the labels on Tamari as some may not be completely gluten free.
- What can I substitute for sweet chili sauce? I’ve always used this ingredient in this recipe, but you could use another sweet sauce, such as plum and add some samba oelek, hot sauce or chili flakes.
How to serve Sweet and Spicy Sugar Snap Peas
These sweet and spicy peas are great year round and go with just about any meal. They go great along side a steak or chicken right off the grill, or even your favourite fish dish. They make an incredible side dish for the holiday’s, too. You can prep the sauce in advance and throw it all together at the last minute. I’ve also been known to make a batch and eat it for a snack, or alongside a tuna sandwich at lunch. They really do go with just about everything.
This recipe goes great with:
- Honey Dijon Turkey Thighs with Cauliflower
- Blackened Saskatchewan Beer Can Turkey Breast
- Alabama White Sauce Chicken Skewers
- Barbecue Monterey Chicken
Sweet and Spicy Snap Peas
- 1 bag snap peas 425 grams
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- sriracha or chili sauce, optional
- Blanch peas in boiling water for 1 1/2 mins. You want them to be tender-crisp.
- Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot over medium-low heat, add sesame oil, sweet chili sauce and soy sauce. Mix to combine. If you want the peas to be a bit spicier, add a small amount of sriracha or a chili sauce such as sambal.
- Add peas back to pot and stir until evenly coated and nicely glazed.
- Transfer to serving dish, top with sesame seeds and serve warm.
Nutritional calculation was provided by WP Recipe Maker and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator
- Chopped peanuts are a great addition.
- Make it gluten free by using Braggs Amino Acids, or Tamari