It’s no secret I love chocolate. I’ve mentioned this many times before. If it has chocolate, I want it and these muffins were no exception.
Generally, if chocolate is involved, it means it’s not very good for you. Well today, I’m here to put that myth to rest. These beauties contain no wheat flour, making them gluten-free. Instead, they are full of wholesome oats. They contain absolutely no oil or butter, yet they are incredibly light and soft inside. You can thank the Greek yogurt and applesauce for that. And, perhaps most importantly, they have double the chocolatey goodness.
The original recipe called for fake sugar/sweeteners, which I find completely and utterly repulsive. They taste so awful, I have no idea how anyone can stand them. Instead, I used real sugar, but you can also use coconut sugar and I’m sure you would still get great results. These muffins are a great better-for-you treat that you can feel less guilty about eating.
Healthier Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 and 3/4 cup oats
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup dutch process cocoa
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar or 2 tsp. vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a blender(or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
- Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
- Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool muffins before removing from pan.
Nutritional calculation was provided by WP Recipe Maker and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator
Recipe adapted from Dashing Dish