Chickpeas are friggin’ awesome, don’t you think? I’ve got a decent stash of both dried and canned organic chickpeas in my pantry at all times. Hummus is always a good standby snack, but sometimes I get bored of it. Sometimes, I just want a crunchy snack I can eat with my hands. That’s where this recipe comes into the mix.
Roasting chickpeas are hella easy. Open can, drain, rinse, dry, season, roast. Bam, snack time. It’s honestly that easy. And they are far more addicting than any healthy snackaroo I’ve made. Plus, the whole can gives me an afternoon snack for the whole week. My snack game is on point when I pair a handful of roasted chickpeas with a few ounces of cheese. You gotta have the cheese.
After some trial and error (although all batches were completely edible) I found the absolute best way to get crispy roasted chickpeas, is to dry them really good first (I leave mine on the counter between two pieces of paper towel for about an hour), don’t use too much oil (1 tbsp per 15 ounce can is perfect), and after 30 minutes of roasting, turn the oven off, crack the door, and let the chickpeas hang out for about 30 minutes in the oven while it cools down. Some of the chickpeas will pop open, but that’s normal and still totally delicious.
I’ve been frequenting GoodLife Fitness since August and participating in their 3-month challenge, and I never thought I’d actually enjoy going to the gym. I’ll be honest, it’s taken me until this point to get in a groove and it no longer feels like a chore. I’ve put together some routines, and things I want to focus on for each visit. I’ve been sleeping way better than before I started working out, I crave junk food a lot less, and I’m motivated to lose this food baby I’ve been nurturing for a few years.
On one of my first visits while I was jogging on the treadmill, I saw a quote that has stuck with me ever since – “The body achieves what the mind believes”. I believe I can eat better, get my ass to the gym and as a result, be more confident in my own skin. As I said last month, eating healthy is going to be one of my biggest hurdles. I’ve been making changes here and there, and these Roasted Chickpeas are one of the healthy snacks I’ve incorporated into my life. No looking back now!
- 1 15- oz can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- spices of your choice to taste *
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and drain the canned chickpeas.
- Lay the chickpeas out on a tea towel or paper towel and rub until dry. You want to get the chickpeas as dry as possible.
- Transfer to a bowl and toss with the olive oil, and salt.
- Transfer the chickpeas to the baking sheet and spread the chickpeas around. Try not to crowd the pan. You want to give them as much room as possible.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, mixing every 10 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove from the oven and toss with spices of your choice.** Once tossed, place the tray back in the oven.
- Turn the oven off and allow the chickpeas to sit in the oven while it cools off, or for about 20-30 minutes. This step helps them get even crispier. I like to keep the oven door open a crack while it's cooling down.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before transferring to an airtight container.
*I like to use Mrs. Dash no salt added Chipotle seasoning, but paprika, garlic, or even curry powders work great.
**I like to add my spices once the cooking process has completed. Spices can burn easily and burnt spices do not taste good.
Disclaimer: I’ve been provided a 3-month membership to GoodLife Fitness at no cost, in exchange to write about my experience.