Lasagna Roll ups with roasted red peppers, Boursin cheese and a combination of creamy béchamel and hearty tomato sauce will make this a family favourite. They’re freezer-friendly, easy to make, and incredibly creamy and delicious.
In a few short days, I’m heading to the airport at 3am to catch a flight to Ottawa for my 4th FBC Conference. Great food, phenomenal people, and loads of learning – I can’t wait. I look forward to this conference every year. It rejuvenates my love of blogging, but more importantly, I get to connect with some of the best people around – Canadian food bloggers.
I’ve got business cards, media kits and a few pairs of stretchy pants packed. I’m ready to go, y’all.
In preparation for the conference, I’ve done some reflecting on the direction I want to take this blog. My work-life balance is in a pretty decent place, but I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew. I’ve decided I want to focus on simple recipes and meals that I make regularly, but often thought weren’t blog-worthy. Turns out, those types of recipes are some of my most popular like these Classic Cheesy Corn Fritters.
These lasagna roll ups are my absolute favourite and I make them at least once a month during the colder months. Making lasagna can be time consuming, especially the baking process. The beautiful thing about lasagna roll ups, is that the hands on and cook times are reduced. You just need to mix all your filling ingredients together and slather a generous helping onto each noodle, roll ’em up and put them in the baking dish, 30 minutes in the oven and you’re in business.
I like roasting my own red peppers because I find the stuff in jars a little too soggy for my liking sometimes – not to mention way pricier than buying two whole red peppers and doing the job yourself. I do like to cheat from time to time and buy a rotisserie chicken because they’re super delicious and because they help with the prep time.
If you know me, you know my love for cheese runs deep. That’s why there’s three kinds of cheese at play in these lasagna roll ups – ricotta, mozzarella and Boursin. I’m a huge fan of Boursin for it’s delicate texture and vibrant flavour. I favour the garlic and chive variety of Boursin for these roll ups, but any of them would do the trick (except maybe the cranberry one, which is still delicious, but not for this application).
Not only are lasagna roll ups quick to assemble, but they can be prepared in advance, and they freeze quite well, too.
Red Pepper and Boursin Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast (about 2 chicken breasts)
- 1 heaping cup chopped roasted red peppers*
- 1 150 g pkg of Garlic and Chive Boursin cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 lasagna noodles cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup bechamel** or store bought white sauce
- tomato sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked, shredded chicken, chopped roasted red peppers, Boursin, and ricotta. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil the lasagna noodles according to package directions and drain well.
- Spread bechamel or store-bought white sauce onto the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Lay the lasagna noodles flat and spread about 1/4 cup of the chicken/cheese filling evenly onto each noodle.
- Roll up the lasagna noodles jelly-roll style and place them seam side down into the prepared baking pan.
- Spoon tomato sauce over each noodle and sprinkle with grated mozzarella.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the rolls are heated through and the cheese is melty and starting to turn brown.