Chipotle Mango Turkey Skewers are a flavour bomb of sweet, spicy and smoky flavours. They’re super flavourful, with adjustable spiciness and sure to please!
This post is sponsored by Turkey Farmers of Canada. As always, all opinions are my own.
It’s August, and even though we still have over a month left before autumn, the leaves here have started to change and fall, and the sun is setting earlier and earlier. I’m taking every opportunity to cook outside and make fresh and seasonal meals like this Chipotle Mango marinade for Turkey Skewers. They’re perfect for August grilling because they’re quick and to make, use mangos which are in season until September, and are made with lean Canadian turkey.
Let’s Talk Ingredients
- Mango: Mangoes are in season from May to September (with June and July said to be peak season), and almost every grocery store will have this tropical fruit available during this time. If you don’t want to be bothered with picking the ripest mango in the produce aisle, frozen is always a stellar choice. The added benefit to frozen, is that they’re already cut for you, so you just have to measure and go.
- Chipotle (Chilis) in Adobo: Chipotles in adobo are smoked and dried jalapeños, canned in a tomato sauce. They’re spicy, tangy and smoky and one of my favourite ingredients to cook with. They are spicy, but not overwhelmingly so, which helps you to build a spicy level to suit your tastes. For this recipe, if you want minimal heat, just use 1 Tbsp of chopped chipotle plus 1 Tbsp of the sauce. This will be enough to give you some smoky, tangy flavour, but not enough to give much (or any) heat to the sauce. I would recommend at least 2 Tbsp of chopped chipotle (about two chipotle peppers) to start to feel some heat. Everyone’s spice tolerance is different, so taste as you go and add more if you want.
- Chili Sauce: I’d venture to say that the best BBQ sauces are tomato-based, so I’ve used some Heinz Chili Sauce here instead of the traditional ketchup. Chili sauce is virtually the same thing as ketchup just with a slightly different tang to it. It’s generally used as the base for cocktail sauce. I prefer it over ketchup for BBQ sauces, but if you don’t have it around, ketchup is the next best option.
- Turkey: Variety is the spice of life, as they say, so why always use the same protein choices when you grill? Turkey is the perfect protein to add to your rotation and has been one of our go-tos all summer. I’ve used turkey breast in this recipe because I wanted to make skewers, but turkey drumsticks and thighs would be great with this chipotle mango marinade as well. No matter which cut you choose, rest easy knowing it’s a lean, healthy choice and turkey is so versatile, that it will pair with any seasoning or sauce you might want to use.
Chipotle Mango Turkey Skewers are perfect for backyard BBQs, or weeknight dinners. They’re the perfect balance of sweet, spicy and savoury and are a crowd pleaser. Next time you’re firing up the grill, make this perfectly sweet and smoky bbq sauce using mangoes and chipotle peppers and make turkey skewers that everyone will love.
Check these recipes out!
- Lentil & Turkey Meatloaf
- Mango Curry Chicken Salad
- Yogurt Mousse with Sweet Summer Peaches
- Alabama White Sauce Chicken Skewers
Chipotle Mango Turkey Skewers
- 1 1/2 Lbs turkey breast boneless, skinless
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp chopped chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 Tbsp of adobo sauce from can of chipotles in adobo
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mango fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Heinz chili sauce or ketchup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Skewers wooden or metal
- Lime wedges for serving optional
- Cut turkey breast into large cubes. Transfer to a zip top bag, or plastic container with a lid. Place in the fridge until sauce is done.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add onions. Sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add in garlic, chopped chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in mango, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, chili sauce and salt.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Transfer the cooled sauce to a small food processor or blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour about 2/3 of the mango chipotle sauce into the zip top bag with the turkey cubes. Make sure all the turkey is covered in the sauce. Allow to marinade for 3-4 hours, or overnight.
- Thread the turkey cubes onto skewers. If you’re using wooden skewers, make sure you soak them for at least 30 minutes before proceeding.
- Preheat the BBQ to medium heat.
- Grill the turkey skewers for 5 minutes, then flip. Grill for another 5 minutes, then flip again.
- Baste the skewers with the reserved sauce after 10 minutes, flipping once more and basting again.
- Grill until the turkey reaches 165°F, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Nutritional calculation was provided by WP Recipe Maker and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator
- If using wooden skewers, make sure you soak them in water for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Build the spice level to suit your needs. Add more chipotle peppers to add more heat
oooh yes. I love those flavours and those photos are making me drool. I’m not a fan of chipotle on it’s own but adding mango is a genius move.
Colleen http://www.thefoodblog.net Milne
What a delicious way to enjoy turkey and I love the chipotle mango sauce. Mango and turkey are amazing together! Thanks for sharing!
Mmmmmango! I love discovering non-Thanksgiving recipe for turkey, and these skewers sound fantastic for summer!
I love using chipotle in a bbq marinade and this sauce with mangoes sounds delish I can just imagine how good these turkey skewers are! On my to try list before grilling season is over!
I’m loving this Chipotle Mango Turkey Skewers recipe! The mango and chipotle flavors are perfect together!
This is a new favorite in our family! The turkey skewers were incredibly flavorful and juicy!
Wow, the mango and chili sauce really made this burst with flavor! These skewers were such a delicious lunch. Definitely gotta make a bigger batch next time!
These skewers are so delicious and the perfect balance of spicy and sweet. They turned out so flavorful!
Oh my – drool-worthy flavours for the perfect bbq! The perfect recipe to stretch the bbq season, thank you so much, saving it and making it soon!
These skewers combine such a wide variety of flavors and look incredibly tasty. Thanks for sharing