I slept-in pretty good on Sunday and struggled with whether or not to make french toast, or grilled cheese. It was technically brunch-time so you could go either way, but why have to settle? It dawned on me that I could just turn my french toast into grilled cheese. By doing so, I don’t need to forego the sweetness of french toast, or the cheesy goodness of grilled cheese.
All I have to say about this french toast grilled cheese sandwich is mmm-mmm-mmm!!! It was a home run for sure! The apples still stay a bit crisp, and it compliments the soft, cream cheese and caramel sauce very well. If apples and caramel aren’t your thing, you could try brie and cranberries, perhaps? Sounds like that could be a delicious combo too, what do you think?
I’ve recently subscribed to the Chef box from Foodie Pages. The March box was bacon themed and I received plenty of fabulous bacon flavored items. Once of the items was a bacon caramel sauce and I used it for this recipe. The caramel sauce was sweet, with a subtle smokey bacon flavor. It’s hard not to just eat it with a spoon.
French Toast Grilled Cheese with Apples and Caramel
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp half and half
- 1 apple thinly sliced *I used Gala
- cream cheese
- thick caramel sauce
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Beat the eggs with the half-and-half. Turn the bread in the egg and place in the hot skillet. Sprinkle the top side with cinnamon. Cook on one side, until deeply golden.
- Flip both pieces of bread. On the cooked side of one slice of the bread, spread a generous amount of cream cheese. Place apples on top of cream cheese.
- On the cooked side of the second piece of bread, spread or drizzle a generous amount of caramel sauce and sprinkle with salt. Then place the bread, caramel side down, on top of the other piece of bread with the apples and cheese.
- Cook each side of the sandwich until golden brown.
- Serve hot. *You can drizzle the sandwich with caramel, syrup or dust with powdered sugar.