So, listen. Cheese is basically my best friend, nay, my soul mate. I’ve never met a cheese I didn’t like – even the stinkiest of blue’s appeal to my palate. I’ve been know to make a cheese plate for dinner, sans the accoutrements (re: just cheese on a plate with nothing to go with it).
While yes, cheese on its own is delightful, it’s often made better by adding carbs to the mix. Lets face it, bread is the perfect vessel in which to deliver cheese.
I know what you’re thinking. Do we really need a recipe for cheese toast? Short answer: yes.
Long answer: Cheese toast is pretty basic, it’s in dire need of a makeover. Nothing too crazy, but just enough of a facelift to switch up the mundane and add some variety. It needs multiple cheeses, a little heat, and something crunchy for texture.
It’s amazing how a few humble ingredients can transform a basic loaf of French bread into pure ooey, gooey, cheesy bliss. A thick layer of smooth cream cheese, herbs and garlic is delightful – but it’s just not enough. Chili flakes add a little heat and pine nuts add much needed texture and obviously, nuttiness. Let some of that cheese get nice and golden, because those brown bits are pure money, baby! I’ll even fight you for the crispy, burnt bits, so be warned.
Cheesy Garlic Bread with Pine Nuts
- 4 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- pinch chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/2 of one French loaf
- parsley for garnish
- Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut a French loaf in half widthwise, and then lengthwise. Place half of the bread on the baking sheet, cut side up.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, parmesan, garlic, Italian seasoning, pine nuts and chili flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the cheese mixture onto the cut sides of the bread. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella.
- Place in the oven, 4-6 inches from the broiler, and heat until cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Slice and serve warm. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional calculation was provided by WP Recipe Maker and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator