I’m sure we’re all sick of winter by now, I know I am. This Polar Vortex has stuck around all winter and it’s been brutally cold for us all season. I decided to brave the cold and met my sister for brunch. As I walked back to my car after our meal, my face was attacked by small, miserable ice pellets. I’ve officially had enough.
When I got home, I needed something to warm me up – stat! I put my ugliest, most comfortable sweat pants on and made hot chocolate. The right way.
Using real chocolate. No powder mixes here. There are two kinds of hot chocolate; the kind using powered milk and cocoa powder mixed with *gasp* water, or the kind using rich, dark chocolate melted with milk and cream. I obviously favor the latter.
And I added booze. Butterscotch Schnapps and Irish Cream to be exact. It was the best decision I made all day.
The hot chocolate is fabulous on it’s own and if your serving to kids, simply omit the the alcohol from the recipe. You can still sneak in a shot of schnapps or Irish Cream into just your cup. I guarantee it will warm you up a little bit faster! Admittedly, this hot chocolate can be quite rich. Simply omit the cream and just use milk, or use 1% or fat free milk if you like.
Butter Baby Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 6-7 ounces high quality dark chocolate
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 ounces Irish Cream Liqueur
- 2 ounces Butterscotch Schnapps
- Finely chop the chocolate. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and cream to a low simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally.
- Add the chocolate. Whisk constantly until all of the chocolate has melted.
- Add the salt, sugar, Irish Cream and Butterscotch Schnapps.
- Cook for an additional 4 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Culinary Cool Original