There’s no denying that I love cheese. When it comes to cheese, I don’t discriminate. I’m a little bit more picky when it comes to movies, however. If the plot of the movie heavily revolves around food, count me in. So when the fine folks at Castello approached me and offered up the chance to go see the movie Burnt, starring Bradly Cooper, on opening night, I jumped at the opportunity. Burnt is about a rebel chef, played by Bradley Cooper, who lost everything – his restaurant, his dignity, and the respect of his peers, all due to drug-use. The movie follows him on his road to revive his career, all the while striving to earn three Michelin stars.
Castello cheese makes an appearance in the movie, and to celebrate, I made these delicious hand pies, filled with bbq chicken, and Castello blue cheese. The filling is remarkably easy; I went and bought a pre-roasted chicken at the grocery store, as well as store bought bbq sauce to help cut some corners. I highly recommend you use a smokey bbq sauce instead of something too sweet. A bolder, smokier sauce compliments the blue cheese far better than something on the sweet side.
I wrapped these little parcels in phyllo, because I love the flaky, crunchy layers it offers. And don’t be intimidated by the phyllo, it’s actually quite easy to work with. Let it thaw in the fridge, and when ready to use, be sure you keep it covered, as it dries out quickly. Plus, using phyllo really elevates simple, modest ingredients, and turns them into an impressive dish.
I’m also pleased to offer a super sweet giveaway courtesy of Castello Cheese and the movie Burnt. We are offering you the chance to win 2 movie passes to see the movie Burnt, which includes a regular popcorn and two soft drinks, as well as $20 in Castello cheese vouchers, Castello brie cheese, a bottle of olive oil and Castello recipe cards featuring recipes inspired by the movie.
Be sure to enter the giveaway above, and tell me your favourite way to use Castello cheese by commenting below.
The giveaway is open to residents of Canada only, and the winner will be required to answer a skill testing question. No purchase necessary. The winner will be contacted within 24 hours of the contesting closing. If the winner does not respond back within 48 hours, a new winner will be drawn.
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup smokey bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 6-8 sheets of phyllo thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine shredded chicken, bbq sauce, celery, green onion, mayo, and blue cheese, and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo on your work surface. Lightly brush the entire surface with olive oil Gently place a second phyllo sheet on top of the first sheet. Lightly oil the second sheet.
- Cut the Phyllo into 4 equal strips (see diagram below).
- Place about 1 tbsp of the filling at the bottom of one strip. Fold one corner of phyllo diagonally across to the opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold the triangle onto itself.
- Lightly brush the triangle with oil and place seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Repeat layering the phyllo dough until all the filling has been used.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the hand pies is golden brown.
- Allow the hand pies to cool slightly. Serve warm, but they are still great if they come to room temperatures.
Nutritional calculation was provided by WP Recipe Maker and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator
This post is sponsored by Castello Cheese and the movie Burnt. I was provided movie tickets, and cheese vouchers in exchange for this post.