This is a fun and delicious spin on classic lemonade that uses ripe strawberries and fresh basil.
Dare I say, summer has finally arrived? It was a rainy, gloomy June, and as I write this, several communities in Southern Saskatchewan are in a state of emergency due to heavy rains and flooding. Not quite how I hoped summer would commence. If there’s a silver lining in all this, it’s that my garden is thriving and I haven’t had to water it myself yet. Now I just need some heat, so things can really get going. Among the veggies sprouting, I have a beautiful 3-tiered herb garden, full of fragrant gems such as lavender, mint, oregano, and basil.
Strawberries and lemons are the perfect combination of sweet and tart, and the addition of basil lends a great herbal component that will surely quench your thirst on those hot and sunny, summer days. To jazz things up, I love to use club soda because it makes the lemonade bubbly and fizzy and it gives the illusion your drinking a fancy-pants cocktail. I can’t wait to start enjoying summer with a sparkling lemonade in one hand, and nothing but free time in the other!
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 lb strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup tightly packed basil leaves
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cans club soda about 4 +1/2 cups, chilled**
- sliced lemons for garnish
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water and sugar to a simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the strawberries and basil and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit to steep until completely cooled.
- Strain the strawberry mixture, pressing the solids to ensure all juice is drained. Discard the remaining berries and basil.
- In a large pitcher, combine the lemon juice and strawberry mixture and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Add the chilled club soda when ready to serve.
Nutritional calculation was provided by WP Recipe Maker and is an estimation only. For special diets or medical issues please use your preferred calculator
Homemade drinks like this are the best! Love the herbal addition