So apparently today is National Grilled Cheese Day, so I figured I would whip something up for the occasion I’ve had this idea for awhile, but haven’t executed it until now. I wish I hadn’t waited so long. This little sandwich is truly a masterpiece as far as grilled cheese goes. It’s nothing too fancy, but encompasses a few of my absolutely favorite foods; perogies, cheese and bacon! Being of Ukrainian heritage, naturally I love, love, love perogies. People here in Saskatchewan love their perogies, too. Maybe more than most other places. They are everywhere! Local restaurants serve them, every wedding buffet offers them and most people stock pile them in their freezer. That being said, I couldn’t think of a better grilled cheese to make!
Perogie Grilled Cheese
- 4 perogies your choice of filling
- 1/2 cup yellow onion sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 strips of bacon
- cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices of french bread
- Sour Cream for dipping
- Boil perogies according to package directions *I place mine in boiling water, and cook for approx 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a pan over medium heat, add onions, and cook until soft. Set onions aside.
- Fry up both strips of bacon, until crispy. Set aside, and discard fat.
- To assemble the sandwich, butter the outside of both pieces of bread. Layer ingredients on the un-buttered side of the bread. *I layered it as follows: cheese, perogies, salt and pepper, onions, bacon, more cheese.
- In a pan on medium heat with a lid, cook grilled cheese until browned and cheese is melting.
- Serve with Sour Cream for dipping.