Cheese and apples are a perfect pair. There’s something about the sweet and tartness of an apple that makes me want a slice or two of cheese at the same time. I can remember back to my elementary school days, our babysitter would serve us an after school snack. The snacks varied from day to day. Puffed wheat cake, graham crackers with peanut butter or apples with cheese; I loved them all. I still consider cheese and crackers an acceptable snack (sometimes a whole meal), but from time to time, I like to jazz things up a bit.
This weekend was one of those times. I wanted something that was impressive and easy, and that serves as an ode to one of my favourite childhood snacks – but with an adult twist. I topped naan with a generous slathering of grainy dijon, followed by a sprinkle of grated Dofino Havarti cheese and topped it with thinly sliced apples, pecans, and a drizzle of honey. I highly recommend the smoked Havarti; the combo of smoked cheese and honey is an all-time favourite of mine.
Since I love Dofino Harvarti so much, I’m pleased to offer another awesome giveaway! The fine folks at Arla foods have teamed up with Culinary Cool to offer you $25 in cheese vouchers, plus a beautiful cheese board with cheese markers.
To enter: 1) You must comment on this blog post and tell me how you plan to use Dofino Havarti Cheese (scroll to the bottom of this page, enter text in the comment box, enter name and email and click Post Comment), 2) Use the Rafflecopter widget below to register your contact details and to earn extra entries by tweeting about the give-away or by heading over to Facebook and “Liking” Culinary Cool. The giveaway is open to residents of Canada only (excluding Quebec), and by Canadian law, the winner will be required to answer a skill testing question. No purchase necessary. The contest runs from February 16 (12 am) to February 22 (12 am). The winner will be contacted within 24 hours of the contesting closing. If the winner does not respond back within 48 hours, a new winner will be drawn.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Apple, Dijon and Havarti Flatbread
- store-bought flatbread or naan
- olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp whole-grain Dijon mustard
- Smoked Havarti cheese grated
- 1 granny smith apple cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp pecans or walnuts coarsely chopped
- honey for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly brush oil onto both sides of store-bought naan or flatbread and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Evenly spread dijon mustard onto the bread.
- Sprinkle bread with grated havarti and top with sliced apples, overlapping slightly.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans or walnuts and bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melty and bubbly.
- Drizzle with honey. Slice and serve while warm.
This post is sponsored by Arla foods.