There are few things greater than breakfast, at least in my books. Especially breakfast for supper. After a long day, sometimes all you need is a plate stacked full of fluffy pancakes. And sometimes, you want to switch it up and make pancakes with a twist.
Lemon and poppy seed are a perfect combination and when added to pancakes, you have the perfect trifecta of awesomeness. I tweaked my go-to pancake recipe and the result is a lovely, light, fragrant pancake.
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- 2 tbsp sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 and 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Mix together the sugar and lemon zest with your fingers until well combined and fragrant. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add in sugar and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, combine milk and vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk in egg, melted butter and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients all at once and whisk until well combined and there are no lumps.
- Mix in lemon juice and poppy seeds.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Pour 1/4 or 1/2 cup measures of the batter into the hot skillet and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip and cook the other side until browned.